Thursday, October 9, 2008

Metal Mimicry

I'm sure no none needs reminding that we are in tough economic times. And while I still buy sterling silver, fine silver, yellow gold-filled and rose gold-filled wire when I can afford to (and while there are folks who can still afford to buy the finished product), I've taken to "faking" the look of these metals with more inexpensive alternatives so that my customers have more options. Here are my favorite "fakers"...


I don't know how many of you have tried plated wire. Do you actually like working with it? I hate working with it. I have various reasons for this, the biggest being that it's just so easy to scratch or chip it. The second biggest reason is that I've yet to make a piece without tumble polishing it, and plated materials don't take kindly to this. And the plastic (or "enameled") wires are so slippery in my pliers I get fed up before I can finish anything. For these reasons I don't use it. Good thing for us there are solid metal alternatives that look great!

____________________

The look of gold...

My personal favorite for imitating the look of gold is red brass (also called rich low brass or jeweler's brass). Unlike it's name would imply, it's not red, but a true gold color. The alloys can range anywhere from 70% copper/30% zinc to 90% copper/10% zinc (I use 85%/15%). Not being a metalurgist, I can only assume that the higher the copper content, the "warmer" the color.

Please do not confuse jeweler's brass with yellow brass. While yellow brass has a "gold" color, to my eye it looks decidedly greenish. I still like it for some things, but if what you want is something that looks like real gold, stick with jeweler's brass.


Rose gold beautiful...

Copper is one of my favorite metals. It's nearly-pink color pleases my eye. I suppose that's why I love rose gold so much too. However, the two don't even come close in color. I guess you could fool someone that's not really familiar with rose gold, but when holding the two next to each other the differences become immediately apparent. Copper is so much darker and pinker. They are so different that I don't even worry about mistaking these two. But there is one type of wire I have to label so that I don't confuse it with my rose gold-filled wire...

On a whim one day (and because I love to experiment), I decided to try bronze wire. The wire I received (Alloy C510, a phosphor bronze) was a light rosey-orange color. Hmmm. When I grabbed my rose gold wire to compare I was simply amazed! It was a eureka moment. The difference was only oh-so-slight. They have the same tonal (or lightness) values. The bronze is just a smidgeon more to the orange, but without really good lighting, it's nearly impossible to tell them apart. I had found my fabulous rose gold "faker"!


Ah, silver...

I've had an incredibly hard time trying to replicate this metal. It's white color is nearly unsurpassed. Nickel silver doesn't cut it, not even a little bit. Stainless steel? Ah, nope. But there's one that's pretty close...

Bright Aluminum is exceptionally white. It's also nice and shiny - two things that describe silver. Silver has a slight "warmth" to it while bright aluminum is brilliant white and "cold" (I'm talking colors here folks, not temperature). The bright aluminum is the closest I've been able to find and yet stay inexpensive. But there is one BIG difference between the two, and that's weight. The same size gauge and amount of rings of bright aluminum probably weighs less than half of the same in sterling silver. For those familiar with the heft of a silver bracelet or necklace, there's no mistaking that that bright aluminum one that you just picked up is NOT silver. Unfortunately, that's the trade-off for this fake. Replicate the color and sacrifice the weight. It's either that or go with nickel silver which looks like gunmetal next to the real thing.

Strange that the "colorless" metal would be the hardest to mimic...
____________________

Now, there ARE drawbacks to not using real gold or silver. Of course there are, or we would never use them! The non-precious metals tend to tarnish. Bright aluminum is pretty resistant, but brass and bronze will darken over time. The trick to keeping them nice is frequent cleanings and polishings with a jewelry cloth and to keep in an airtight bag when not in use. A small amount of work for a bigger reward.

I'm not by any means bashing other metals. In fact I used them - nickel silver, yellow brass and copper (especially copper). For instance, yellow brass looks fantastic with peridot or olive colored beads; the color of the beads picks up the greenish cast of the brass in a good way. Yellow brass also looks great with brown or terra cotta colors as it gives a nice "earthy" look. Copper looks great with beads too - my favorite color for copper is a greenish blue turquoise. Matches beautifully, probably due to the fact that copper's own corrosion is the same color. It also goes well with various greens and oranges. And of course I've used these metals all on their own or in mixture (Half Persian 4 in 1 looks bangin' with half of the rings one color and half another color).

So there you have it! Try them out - they are very inexpensive. You can also buy these metals by the pound. And let me tell ya, a pound of wire is A LOT of wire! Try mixing them (tri-color chains are always hot). Most of all, have fun and be creative. You'll have a lot of wire to use up...

No comments: