Saturday, September 20, 2008

Favorite Chainmaille and Wirework Books

If you're looking for instructional books for your jewelry craft, I have a couple that I myself refer to frequently. I actually own and have read these books and have put some of the techniques into practice. Some of you may not think my opinion counts for much, but some may find it useful from someone who has actually used this information. I only recommend books, videos and resources that I found personally useful.

Making Silver Chains: Simple Techniques, Beautiful Designs
by Glen F. Waszek

This book contains a plethora of chain designs. It focuses mainly on soldered links, but there are definitely designs that pertain to the chainmail artist. He also goes extensively into tools and materials, pickling, annealing, how to make your rings and so on.

Overall, a good book filled with great tips and loaded with inspirational pieces.


The Art of Metal Clay (with DVD): Techniques for Creating Jewelry and Decorative Objects
by Sherri Haab

If some of you are like me, you've also dabbled in making your own charms and beads for your chainmail creations. PMC (Precious Metal Clay) is an easy and economic way of doing this that requires few relatively inexpensive tools to begin. I find the author's style to follow a bit along the "funky", but she gives good instruction and techniques. The book is filled with inspiration for your own designs and tips on how to start with just a torch and firing brick. She explains texturing, carving, molding - all the things you'll want to know to start with this amazing clay.

I was blown away the first time I tried PMC - how something that looks so mundane and bland could turn into something so beautiful with nothing more than an acrylic roller, a couple playing cards, a tissue blade and a small torch. OK, maybe a little bit of inspiration too, which you'll get plenty of in this book.


Chain Mail Jewelry: Contemporary Designs from Classic Techniques
by Terry Taylor & Dylon Whyte

What a book! If there are any with more beautiful designs, I haven't found it yet. This book includes unusual and original designs that include beads and often unused materials. It's well illustrated and always includes a photograph of the finished piece. The designs include everything from earrings to watch bands. It also includes gallery photos of other artists work, giving plenty of inspiration (and I'm big on inspiration).

You won't want to miss the Japanese Lace Collar or the Braided Bracelet. Gorgeous!!

No comments: